Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Big 12 South and Big 12 Champion

I do not want this blog to be filled with boring analysis all the time. However, I think it is necessary to make the preseason predictions for a few reasons. One, if they pan out well, I can claim how much of a genius I am. Two, if my predictions are way off, my friends, blog followers, and I can can make fun of me. It also lets people know where I stand as far as opinions on certain teams, players, coaches, etc... I promise, after this prediction post, things will be more entertaining here.

The Big 12 South is a little more interesting to pick. Many preseason rankings have three Big 12 teams (Oklahoma, Texas, and Oklahoma State) ranked in the top 10 nationally. Crazy! I don't think Oklahoma St is that good, but their schedule sets up nicely for the Big 12 season. Well, here goes nothing.

1. Oklahoma: Bob Stoops may choke in major Bowl games, but he dominates the Big 12. In the 10 previous years Stoops was the coach at OU, they won 6 out of 10 Big 12 titles, including the last three in a row. Not to mention they return virtually all of their offensive weapons and defensive playmakers. If their offensive line wasn't so untested, this would have been a no-brainer, but...

2. Texas: Colt McCoy had an incredible season last year. I honestly don't think he can repeat it. I think Texas takes a step back offensively this season. Their defense, however, will be very tough. Obviously the game against OU will be huge. The determining factor will be how much pressure Texas can get on Sam Bradford without blitzing. Remember that inexperienced offensive line at Oklahoma? Could be interesting. I also picked them second to Oklahoma because I still think Mack Brown isn't a very good game coach. Great recruiter, below average coach.

3. Oklahoma State: I don't really like this pick, and I keep trying to convince myself I should put Texas Tech here, but after looking at their schedules I just can't. There is no way Oklahoma State is a top 10 team, but they should finish #3 in the Big 12 South. They have an easier Big 12 schedule than Texas Tech (OSU vs. Tech is in Stillwater), and their "tough" Big 12 North games are at home (Mizzou and Colorado). They obviously have some great talent, I just don't think their supporting cast is good enough to make them a serious BCS contender. Schedule is the main reason they are my #3 pick.

4. Texas Tech: I hate picking Mike Leach this low. The guy is probably the most underrated coach in America. Yes, they lose Graham Harrell (who went undrafted by the way) and Michael Crabtree, but they lose statistic studs every year and Leach's teams never miss an offensive beat. Plus their defense should be improved this year with all three linebackers returning and a solid defensive line. The reason I picked them 4th is because they have to play at Okie State and at Nebraska. Don't be surprised if they finish 3rd.

5. Baylor: The fact that people are even talking about Baylor making a Bowl Game is incredible. I don't think there has ever been a player increase the interest level in a team more than Robert Griffin. But remember, he is just one player and they did have a certain offensive lineman picked #2 overall in the draft last year. That usually helps a QB. They do have some playmakers on defense with Joe Pawelek, Jordan Lake, and the addition of Phil Taylor at DT. Remember when I said Oklahoma State didn't have the supporting cast to "get it done." Well, Okie State's supporting cast is about 10 times better than Baylor's.

6. Texas A&M: Young team with poor coaching=not a very good team. I think Mike Sherman is a terrible fit for the college game. He reminds me so much of Bill Callahan it is scary for Texas A&M. They do have some talent, but so does Texas and Oklahoma. Their young talent is just sitting on the bench because of the studs who are starting. It will be another long year in College Station.

Championship Game:
Oklahoma vs. Nebraska: It will be the second time these teams will have played this season. I predict Oklahoma will win a fairly close (less than 14 points) game in Lincoln on November 7th. However, in friendlier confines (the new Cowboys stadium), and the motivation of getting a chance to play Florida again in the National Championship Game ahead, I predict the Sooners will win easily.

2009 Big 12 Champion: The Oklahoma Sooners

There you have it. Carve it in stone and come back and make fun of me later when Texas smokes OU,Texas Tech wins at Oklahoma State and Nebraska, and Baylor finishes 4th in the Big 12 South.


4 comments:

  1. Will Texas be able to put pressure on Bradford? Yep, Sergio Kindle is one of the best hybrid DE/LB in the country. Ulatoski and Houston would be all-stars in any other year exept this one cause they'll be playing in Kindle's shadow. Muschamp will confuse and expose the Sooner line all day long. McCoy has 5 returning starters on the line (4 full time starters from last year) so he'll have plenty of time and even I could run behind their line. I'd put money on Texas up to a 5 1/2 point spread.

    Baylor has a lot of speed all over. Finley is good enough to take some of the running game heat off of Griffin. There isn't really a standout at WR but they are all athleticly gifted enought to give any secondary in the conference fits, except OU. Baylors D will be in their second year of this system and will be adequate to beat A&M. A&M will be lucky to average 14 points a game in conference this year, their offense will be pathetic starting up front. Their lack of Oline play won't allow any of the marginal talent they have in the skill positions to develop at all.

    Besides flip-flopping those teams I can't disagree. Just my .02. Nice blog, it's good to see some opinions other than the tire message board rhetoric.

    Chesty

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I still think Mack Brown isn't a very good game coach. Great recruiter, below average coach."

    I agree Mack isn't a very good game coach and could argue that he isn't even that great of a recruiter. He happens to live in one of the largest states (greatest talent pool) with possibly the greatest amount of state pride. Kids are also bred to play football down there, a perfect example is Colt McCoy who basically new he would play for Texas since conception.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Chesty. I'm pretty sure I will regret picking Baylor 6th, but oh well. I can't wait for that OU-Texas game. Should be a classic.

    ReplyDelete